SouthernOsh, Kyrgyzstan’s second largest city, holds about 250,000 people. One of Central Asia’s oldest cities, Osh is said to be older than Rome. A number of legends depict its history dating back to the fifth century BC: Alexander the Great passed nearby on his way to India, King Solomon slept on “Solomon’s Throne” and Bobur the Lion, conqueror of India even stayed here.
One of the Central Asia’s best open markets is here, the central bazaar crowded with Kyrgyz, Uzbek and Tajik offering everything from seasonal fruits and vegetables to traditional hats, knives and horseshoe. Craftsmen still employ ancient technologies for making everyday knives, horseshoes and steel home decorations.
The center of Osh holds Suleiman Mountain, throne of King Solomon. According to legend, the mountain appeared only after King Solomon rested here. For Central Asian Muslims Taht-I-Suleiman is the third most sacred place after Mecca and Medina. At the summit an ancient mosque built by Bobur in 1510 still operates. There is also unique museum in the natural cave.
The Pamir highway, leading to thee Kyrgyz-Tajik border and main Pamir-Alai road to Kashgar (China), starts in Osh.
I. Sulaiman-Too, a unique natural and historical sight of Kyrgyzstan, including:
- A Bronze Age settlement. The settlement dates back about 3,000 years, as proved by wide-scale excavations.
- A cave complex. The exhibits are dedicated to various religious traditions originating in extreme antiquity (Zoroastrian cult, Buddhism, shamanism, Christianity and Islam).
- Visiting the sacred sites. There are many of them inside Grand Suleiman-Too as well as caves and stones, which are considered to cover the whole Central Asia’s Muslim heritage from ancient to modern times.
- Archaeological and cultural monuments. On the peak of Sulaiman-Too a unique single chamber mosque of the Fergana School (the 16-17th Centuries) known as the Prophet Sulaiman (or Solomon) Mosque. The Asaf-Ibn-Burkhiya Mausoleum and the Ravvat Abdullah Khan Mosque are located beneath the mountain.
5. Unique petroglyphs dating back 5,000-6,000 years.
Excursion 2-2.5 hours
Tags: sights in osh, travel agencies in osh, sleeping in osh